Tuesday 9 November 2010

Different by far, a painting that breaks the mould.

The shape of things that are
80 X 65 cm, oil painted canvas,
Far removed from the normal style of simple abstract paintings and the minimalist lines or shapes that normally predominate in my work. This abstract painting is an expression confusion and frustration, using textures and colours that are very different, but also exciting and distinct. I truly feel that this painting breaks a mould and pushes the boundaries of my abstract artwork.

Despite being about disorder and frustrations. It has a calmness and ease that belie its subject. The green is vibrant and energetic bursting with life and in complete contradiction to the warm greys and reds. It is both fugitive and pastoral while holding firmly to the abstract.

For my self I cant quite decide if I like it as a painting. But the real value for me, was what I gained as and artist and painter from pushing beyond the fears and doubts that would have had me maintain, the status quo. How dose this abstract painting make you feel ?  

No comments: