Friday 4 January 2008

New to this

Hi ya all, I'm Mark and I have just started this Blog on my laptop. That way my laptop won't just be collecting dust and I will have the chance to put forward my ideas and views that don't belong on my web site. I don't intend to add to my blog every day but often enough to keep it interesting and vibrant. (I hope you will find it just that way). So why a blog? I'm not a computer expert and up until a few days ago I had no real idea what a blog is for let alone how to cerate one. More new skills required. I have still got a long way to go but it all starts with the first tentative steps. Those steps stared by asking a few questions and doing a little research in to. What is a blog? Why do I need a blog? and what benefit will I get from having a blog?

The simple answer is blogs are not what I thought they were. They are not just mini web sites, or some kind of chat page or just another means of communication, that would distract me from my real purpose, painting. Of cause having a blog will help to promote Me, My work and My web site but more importantly it has proved to be a valuable tool in understanding my work, the work of others, what I'm doing and why, as well as a means to collect my thoughts and frame them in purposeful and meaningful ways.

My research led me along many paths. I looked at other peoples blogs, articles, posts and web sites. I made decisions about what I wonted to say or achieve and the feel that the blog has. I learned that content, links and pictures are what makes any blog work or fail. I found that there is a huge amount of information freely available and that communication is only one small part of being a blogger. A blog is not just one thing but rather like an car the blending of many parts to form a whole that requires fuel, time and constant maintenance to allow it to run smoothly. I found some site very helpful Like http://www.emptyeasel.com/. which has lots of good articles and the excellent articles for artists by Kirsty Hall, which I found very helpful.

The benefits are not just mine it seems. As a life time dyslexic the written language has always presented me with challenges and will continue to do so, however. I have found that this Blog and my web site have opened a world that before I had only glimpsed. In this new world of mine I know and can see that my work and my life has improved enormously as a result. If though this blog I can in some small way enrich, enlighten or uplift the lives of others as this blog has done for me then we are all one step closer to our goals.

No comments: